After almost 3 years from first publishing this version of my blog, I decided it needed a slight refresh. While the design hasn’t changed considerably, I made some big changes in the layout and the way I am organising the content. Most notably:
- Ditched the sidebar: I found that it wasn’t serving any cause, other than obstructing the content. This was more obvious when I got the iPad, because of the smaller screen.
- Upgraded photo space: Instead of cramming the photos on the sidebar, I moved them into a more prominent space, just below the header. For the integration and presentation I used a slightly modified version of FlickrAPI to fetch my photostream from Flickr and JQuery/Lightbox for the nifty popup. I also got rid of the FAlbum, nobody used those sections of the blog; better to redirect everyone to flickr instead.
- More elaborate categorisation: On the older version I used just three categories: life, work and university. While I thought that they would be sufficient, I found them quite restrictive, however, I do like the simplicity. So instead I changed the titles to me, us and extras, keeping the 3 main category simplicity, but introducing subcategories. More information about categories can be found here.
- Stronger integration with Social Networks: Since everyone uses them nowadays (well almost everyone), I moved my LastFM and Twitter streams into a bigger space, just below the blog post. Since my Twitter/LastFM are more often updated than this blog, they deserve the extra space. Additionally, I make use of the new Facebook API to introduce the “Like” button just below every blog-post. I am still kinda skeptical about that, we’ll see how it goes.
- Typography: I switch the blog font to Georgia, it simply looks better!
Hope you like it!